Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ooh! I need that!

Jaime and I happened upon Watefront City last weekend after we met some friends for brunch (same friends from the rugby game...still working on charming complete strangers into friends). Waterfront City is a giant outdoor mall of mostly outlet or discount stores and SALES SALES SALES everywhere! One of the billion shoe stores we passed I saw a big boot sale in the window and paused to look. Jaime asked me if I needed boots...Well of course I need (more) boots! :) Silly question.

So, I didn't get any boots since we just did our budget, and as acting-adults, we are trying to stick to it. (Awhile back when talking to my parents,  I responsed to a question regarding how my money was holding up...with "eh, measly." They got a big kick out of that...I often hear jokingly, "How are the measly funds doing Ash?") Parents. :) I think its their duty to let us make our own path, but I think they are secretly amused all the while. Well anyway...I can still look and that is half the fun of shopping!

The thing about Melbourne is that they would never say that they have the best food or the best shopping or the Best anything...but they sure do love what they do have. No one would ever drive a long distance to come shop in Melbourne, but Melbournians  LOVE to shop and they are extremely proud of the many stores the city has to offer. We came at the most perfect time for shopping...end of Winter sales! The clothes here are expensive, even the basic stores are expensive compared to the US, but they don't mess around with the sales. They mark down up to 80%-90%. Most stores want to clear, I asked one clerk when the sale was going to end and she said when everything is gone. Serious business. The sales are all over town but I am learning that the shopping areas are specific. Bridge St. is considered "outlet stores"(although you would never know that unless someone told you they look like regular stores), Chapel St. is high end, and Brunswick is vintagey and retro. Most stores are new to us, we have seen only a few chains (Target, Costco, Gap). Some stores are Aussie chains, but a good majority of stores are Aussie designer specific.  Whether they have a little upscale or vintage-y store or they rent out a little cubby in a store to display their stuff, you can be sure to find unique and Australian-made clothes most places. My only purchase so far was when we first arrived and I bought a really cool dress for my birthday present from this little Australian designer store that was having a gigantic sale. Then the saleslady made me buy a wool coat too. (She was good!). Anyway, I love them because they were a super great deal, unique, locally designed/made and now I am warm like a sheep! (And by now the sheep is probably warm again too).

Upon arrival here, I was directed to Woolworths for grocery shopping, but I walked right by it because Woolworths is a department store. Usually. But here it is a nice little grocery store. The drug stores are called Chemists and are small, jam-packed with products, and on every corner. Everyone is always very eager to help you find something and I usually go through 3 store attendants asking if I need help because they don't understand why I am just browsing. But there is so much stuff to look at. I compare familiar products with home and I like to explore new products that they use here. And again...it is expensive! The best thing...for every type of store here there is a discount store! So you can always find a deal. Discount chemists, discount vitamin store, discount grocery store, discount bottle shop, discount make-up...discount everything!  Good for the measly funds! The other day, I had to buy a computer charger, so I went to the discount computer accessory store (convenient). The guy didn't desensitize the sensor and so I set the alarm off when I walked out, but he just said it was ok and waved me on from afar. Well, that was first thing in the am...I then proceeded to set off every store alarm that I entered and exited. After awhile I would tell people...I am going to set off your alarm...and they would just look at me awkwardly. I even caught a few jokes..."Well you don't usually buzz when you walk IN the store." I finally gave up setting off alarms for the day and went home.

I also discovered Scoopon, Jump on it, Ouffer, and What's on, which are all Oz's version of America's online coupon sites (i.e. Groupon and Buywithme.com), which is awesome and a great way to discover and do things we wouldn't know about at a discount!

Whether you are just window shopping or out to buy, being in a new city, especially a new country as funky as Australia makes exploring fun and when you score a great deal or find a cute little hidden store you have to write it down or you will never find it again! Jaime might make a request or we run out of something we brought from home (i.e. Advil, virtually nonexistant) and I go out on a mission...it might take me a few days, but I will find it. And you can bet it will be discounted!

Now, when do I get to learn how to shave a sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment