Monday, August 16, 2010

So, this is Oz!

Yesterday I happily turned 30.  All of my 29 birthdays leading up to this one were celebrated, I'm pretty sure, scattered throughout the USA. When you have a summer birthday, you never know where you are going to be celebrating. This year, I "caught the thirty" (thank you Mario) with a boisterous group of new friends at my very first Melbourne Storm Rugby game. Actually my first Rugby game in general. I was surrounded by much merriment provided by several Australians, a kiwi, a few Brits, a Dutch woman who has lived all over the world and my wonderful new husband. There was food, open bar, high-fives, laughing, and the most exciting discovery for my husband and I...halftime Party Pies! A party pie, which I couldn't quite understand the name at first due to the Australian accent omiting the "ar" sound, patty pie?, is a delicious mixture of warm meat and gravy surrounded by pastry dough. And this, was dessert. Add a dollop of tangy ketchup and all of a sudden you have eaten enough party pies to equal the calories of a small cake. But they were delicious!

So, when my mom found out that my husband and I were moving to Australia she listened to a book on tape called "In A Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. Bill Bryson is a witty and entertaining travel writer, who loves Australia and gives a most awesome account of his time there which includes updating us on history, politics, culture, general fun, and every living predator that can kill you in 5 minutes that all happen to live down under. My mom was thoroughly entertained and passed the book on to my husband and I as preparation for our new adventure. Bill Bryson explains that he understands the title of his book should be in a 'Sunburnt' country, but it isn't. And so the misspelled name of my blog was inspired by Bill Bryson, and the fact that I was told numerous times to wear the highest SPF I can get my hands on.  My online journal about our year in Melbourne and our quest for sunny beaches, kangaroos, and the Aussie way of life.

2 comments:

  1. Super start to blogging, sunburned you! Terrific! I'm going to sign up for your updates or feeds or whatever they're called so I can read all your entries. Cannot wait to have a party pie when I come and visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ash- love the blog- so educational!!! Aussie's-HOT-love the sexy way they talk-LOL-Love and miss u -Shona

    ReplyDelete